Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gluten Free for 29 days

A friend of mine suggested I try going gluten-free for a while, to see if there is any improvement in some of my IBS symptoms. Those with Celiac Disease are basically "allergic" to gluten, aka they have an immune response in their digestive system when gluten is consumed. Foods that are high in gluten are made from wheat, barley and rye. Some places recommend not eating oats because of the trace amounts of gluten that can be mixed in due to cross-contamination from equipment at the factory. I'm choosing to include oats in my version of this diet, at least for the beginning.

Potato, corn and rice based foods are all good, which leaves me with lots of options. We stocked up on Russet, rice noodles, wild rice, regular rice, and grits. Hominy is something else we could get that I love (usually fried, though).

The goal is to see if I have fewer flair-ups on this diet. So, I'll need to log how I'm feeling each day. As this blog is also a partial diary of mine, this information will be posted, albeit in as unobtrusive a fashion as possible. So, we will see how gluten-free works for me.

A bit Thank You to all my Facebook friends who have already started sharing locations for purchasing gluten-free products, some recipes, and lots of support. As I test recipes, I will make sure to share them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment