Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 666 - Bronchitis and Mean Green Juice

Ok, so it's been a bit of a battle, and I've had to fall back, regroup, and try again several times. The key is to keep trying, even though I'm well past day 365. I want to reach a healthy 140lbs, but it is going to take me far longer than I hoped.

Since loosing the 50 lbs last year, along with us finally buying a car that September, I've gained back roughly 13-15 lbs, and I am having real trouble loosing weight again. After a series of illnesses, and an increase in Asthma and Fibromyalgia symptoms, I've been weaker, both physically and mentally. I sit and watch tv, hulu and netflix more often, I barely walk anywhere. Even when pet sitting for a friend just 5 blocks away, I still drive. I'm battling Bronchitis at this moment, and have been ill for over two weeks. My stomach is always upset, even on the good days in between. But with this last cold/flu, it still hasn't settled down.

I'm very concerned about the health of my digestive system. My Rheumatologist has had me on a 50,000 unit vitamin D supplement once a week for 6 months, as I'm still below normal. I'm taking a hair/skin/nail supplement due to hairloss. And I can't seem to get enough potassium, C, or B complexes. My worry is that my digestive system is not doing it's job because it's swollen and irritated all the time. This does not bode well for either my ability to ever get healthy, or for my longevity.

So, last night I watched a movie titled "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." This guy Joe Cross, a wealthy overweight Australian business man with a pile of medicines and serious chronic illness, made a documentary about his 60 day juice fast and the following months of maintenance. He managed to loose 90 lbs in 6 months, I think 50+ of which was in the first 60 days. Joe was not the amazing part of the film. After traveling across America, Joe managed to bump into a truck driver by the name of Phil Staples, who had the same exact diseases, and weighed 435 lbs. Joe asked Phil to call if he ever decided to try the juice. A few months later, after Joe had completed his 60 days and returned with vigor to managing his many businesses in Australia, Phil called Joe for help, taking him up on the offer. Joe dropped what he was doing, flew out and walked Phil through what he'd need to do to start a 10-day fast, then left Phil to do it. Phil did great. He lost 30 lbs in 10 days, then decided to go for another 20, then another 30, and after a very successful 60 day fast then decided to keep going till he'd lost all the weight, over 230 lbs by the end of the film. He may have lost more by now, but his filmed transformation was trilling to see. Phil went from "a cheeseburger away from dead", slow, sad, and waiting for the inevitable, to energetic, happy, and running every day, sharing his success with everyone, inspiring hundreds in his community.

Anyway, Joe's idea was to heal himself from the inside by drinking and eating only micro-nutrient dense foods, and to get off all his medicines. Both Joe and Phil accomplished this and are in complete remission of their illnesses.

So you can see why I'm intrigued.

James has a juicer here in the house, and I'm real hungry. I think I might go out and buy some veg and fruit to make some Mean Green Juice. Here are some other recipes from the film: http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/about-the-film/learn-more/recipies/.

If today is day 1 for me, then the dinner I'm to attend on Nov 5th will be interesting. Maybe I'll let myself eat veg and fruit that day, instead of just drinking juice, but I'm totally missing out on the Fried Chicken. Maybe I'll let myself eat veg and fruit once a day. I've not quite made up my mind, but I'm determined to try adding the juice to my regimen. What am I saying... I'm planning on Building a New Regimen, as I've totally stopped all my healthy ones from last year. Sweetie has been quite displeased with the lack of "walkies".

I need to do this for myself, so that I can be there for my family and my community. The Huntington Community Gardens, the Cabell County Master Gardeners, and Create Huntington are all groups I'm active in, but my chronic illnesses have lost me my job in June and kept me from participating the way I'd like to in the healing of our city. My house is a wreck, my yard is a wreck, I'm a wreck. So, I must focus on healing myself first, then my family, then my home, then my friends, then my community.

Time to be a bit selfish, in the best way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment