Thursday, January 14, 2010

Google Earth and Tracking Miles Jogged

I jog/walked the dog today around our full square city block and it only took me 7 minutes, a 10-12 minute endeavor usually. So I wanted to figure out exactly the distance we jogged. As City Blocks vary in length from 1/8th of a mile to 1/20th of a mile, I decided to use Google Earth to make that measurement.

First, open Google Earth, then zoom in to the city block in question. I typing in our mailing address, state and zip. Make sure to zoom in close enough to see the sidewalks on the map. Next, open the Ruler window off the menu, then select Feet or Miles from the drop down menu, depending on how precisely you wish to measure. At this point you will see the curser represented by a square. Use this to click on the corners of the block, preferably on the actual sidewalk you were using. With the first click you will see a dot appear on the map. As you click on the second corner, you will see a line appear between the dots and a value in the Ruler window: this is the distance of that block. As you add the third corner, the value will increase to match the new distance measured. When finishing the measure of a Square Block, on your fourth click, I find it easiest to click near but not on the first dot. At this point you will have a pretty accurate measurement.

My full square block came to 2050 feet or 0.39 Miles, roughly 1/3 of a Mile. After messing with Google Earth for a while, I found that the average Huntington block measures around 0.8 to 0.10 Mile. So for some easy rough math, just shoot for 10 Huntington blocks as 1 Mile.

With this information, I was able to discover that 3 loops around our square block is just a smidge over 1 Mile: 1.17. If I did 9 loops, that's 3.5 Miles. A standard 5 Kilometer run is equivalent to 3.1 miles. This is very hand information, as my goal is to be able to do a 5K run 2-3 times a week by January 1st, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment