Monday, January 18, 2010

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and the Harris-Benedict formula

After finding out that my initial math was incorrect, I decided to further evaluate a few things.

The first thing I wanted to reevaluate was my Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). This is the number of calories your body needs to function and stay alive, like pumping your heart, maintaining liver and kidney function, breathing, etc.

There are a couple ways to calculate this. One way is the Harris-Benedict Formula, and it differs between Men and Women:

Male Formula for BMR
BMR = 66 + (13.75 x weight in kg) + (5 x height in cm) – (6.8 x age in yrs)

Female Formula for BMR
BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.8 x height in cm) – (4.7 x age in Yrs)

So, to calculate my BMR based on this formula, I will need to recalculate my weight into kilograms. To do this I must divide my weight in pounds by 2.2. 

239 / 2.2 = 108.64 kg

Next I need to recalculate my height into centimeters. To do this I must multiply my height in feet by 2.54.

5' 6'' = 66"         66 X 2.54 = 167.64 cm

So now I plug all my numbers into the Harris-Benedict formula:

BMR = 655 + (9.6 x 108.64kg) + (1.8 x 167.64 cm) – (4.7 x 38 Yrs) = 1821.06 calories per day

This seems a bit high. And this formula can give too low and too high readings, depending on if you are underweight or overweight. 

Because of this possibility of error, another formula was created, based on your Lean Body Mass.



No comments:

Post a Comment